ACADEMIC Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), has embarked on a total, comprehensive, and indefinite strike over unresolved issues with the Federal Government.
This was after the National Executive Council (NEC) of ASUU met at the University of Abuja, Main Campus, Giri, on the 12th of August 2017 to consider the results of a referendum from all branches in a bid to ascertain ways of convincing the Government to implement outstanding aspects of the 2009 Agreement and the MoU of 2013.
The strike, according to the union was to begin on Sunday, 13th August, 2017.
In a bulletin signed by Prof. Biodun Ogunyemi, National President of ASUU, it was recalled that the union embarked on a 6-month strike between July and December, 2013, and the strike was suspended when the government signed an MoU with the union.
According to them, only two hundred billion out of a total of one trillion , three hundred billion naira of the Public Universities Revitalization (Needs Assessment) Fund was released.
The union also embarked on a one week warning strike in November 2016 to press for the implementation of the 2013 MoU and it still did not work out.
Ogunyemi said “The union had also met with the 2009 Agreement Implementation Monitoring Committeem (IMC), and had written several letters, press releases, and communiqués on the outstanding issues to no avail.”
Ogunyemi listed the key outstanding issues with the Federal Government to include:
- Payment of fractions/Non-payment of salaries.
- Non-payment of Earned Academic Allowances (EAA).
- Non-release of operational License of NUPEMCO.
- Non implementation of the provisions of the 2014 Pension Reform Act with respect to Retired Professors and their salaries.
- removal of Universities Staff Schools from funding by government.
- Funds for the revitalisation of public universities and;
- Poor funding of existing State Universities and proliferation of universities by their visitors.
Stating further, during the course of the indefinite strike, the members of the union are asked not to:
- Teach any course
- Attend any statutory meeting: Departmental/Faculty Board, Senate etc.
- Conduct or supervise any examination at any level.
- Engage in supervision of project at any level etc.