A 20-year-old college student of Sacred Heart University in Fairfield, Connecticut, named Caitlin Nelson, passed away on Sunday after choking to death during her sorority’s (Kappa Delta) pancake-eating contest at a fund-raising event.
According to the Daily Mail, Caitlin was participating in the contest to raise money for something close to her heart: Prevent Child Abuse America.
After eating four or five pancakes, she was said to have suddenly fallen to the floor and started shaking uncontrollably.
Nursing students and paramedics tried to help her, but unfortunately, too much damage was already done. According to Fairfield Police Chief, Gary MacNamara, The police officers were on the scene quickly and immediately, desperately and heroically tried to clear her airway.
The obstruction was not easily cleared and lack of oxygen for that amount of time ultimately caused severe damage.”
She was rushed to a local hospital, but sadly, she already gave up the ghost. A memorial was held in her honour with thousands in attendance at Sacred Heart University.
A funeral mass has also been set for Saturday, April 8 at 9:30am at St. Helen’s Church, 1600 Rahway Ave., Westfield.
According to her obituary, “Caitlin gave in every aspect of her life, including donating her organs as a final act of giving.”
Rest on Caitlin.
Watch video of a Sergeant talking about how he tried to save her below: